Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Off the circumdrome

In a brilliant article titled “Energy and Economic myths” published in 1975, Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen wrote:

………..we should cure ourselves of what I have been calling "the circumdrome of the shaving machine," which is to shave oneself faster so as to have more time to work on a machine that shaves faster so as to have more time to work on a machine that shaves still faster, and so on ad infinitum.

I have been planning for a while now to graduate from Gillette’s Mach-3 (a mere 3 blade razor) to the 5-blade Fusion razor of Gillette. And I thought that the New Year was as good a time as any to gift myself this gadget. Then I remembered reading above piece by this Georgescu-Reogen.

So, my New Year resolution is to actually regress technologically. Yes, I will be buying a 2-blade model – the Sensor. Let me get off the circumdrome of the shaving machine and set an example to the materialistic, hedonistic world.

4 comments:

Balajisblog said...

Raj - do away with even 2 blade...grow a beard. I wonder where Gillette will draw a line - would it be 10 blades ? Whatever happened to good old "7-O clock" and "Wilkinson" - are they still around ? The unique Indian method of breaking a blade into 2 is something about which you should blog...Balaji...

Raj said...

Balaji, I am regressing in a planned, phased manner. And, '7 o clock' is still around, Brand is owned by Gillette.

ramesh said...

yaa but three blades does make it easier .. of course the barber's razor gives the best possible thingy ..

Ruben said...

A ingle-edge safety razor is the most joyful way to shave.