Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I am indeed the father...

I received a message from Facebook that someone had listed me as her father, and would I please confirm the relationship? After the initial panic and concerns if I was being slapped with a paternity suit, I realized that it was indeed my daughter who was updating her Facebook profile and that I was in no danger.

The incident got me worried. I could create a virtual persona and make it list some other virtual entity as its father and so on. A virtual web of relationships and families could be created on Facebook and made to evolve independent of the real world. Soon, as in The Matrix, the distinction will blur and we will realise that what we now understand as reality is actually a simulated one created by Facebook, so as to draw upon the energy and heat emanating from our bodies. This energy, in turn, will power the Facebook server farms so as to create more simulation……

1 comment:

ramesh said...

yaa but the bottom line is that the sentient being behind this virtual world would be a very sad loser ..