Sunday, April 19, 2009

What is Sachin made of? Sugar and honey and...

Tendulkar was at his sugary, honey-dripping, humility-oozing, patriotic and pious best when his wax statue meant for Madame Tussaud’s was completed and displayed recently.

“It feels great because Madame Tussauds is known to include only those who’ve achieved something great in their lives and thus, it translates that my humble achievement counts as worthy enough for the honour. However, more than for personal reasons, I’m happy that the sports arena of my homeland has received this honour”, he said.

When asked if he had ever dreamt of having his statue at Madame Tussauds, Sachin quipped, “While I cherish every honour bestowed on me, including this one, I’ve never played cricket with an eye on awards and rewards”.

Asked whether he considers the statue his best birthday gift ever, he remarked, “This is indeed a great gift but my parents, siblings, and wife’s love and my children’s affection remains the most cherished gift of all time”.

My suggestion to the media is that they shouldn’t waste Sachin’s time anymore. Let them send their questions to me and I will write out the answers on his behalf, adding honey, sugar syrup, jaggery, caramel sauce and praline in generous doses.

Update: Saccharine Sachin says after the first match of IPL2, in which he scored 59 runs and remained not out: “The team wanted me to stay on till the end, and that’s exactly what I did. I always play according to the needs of the team”. Hmmm, wonder what he would have said had Hayden held on to the lollipop of a catch he had offered early in the innings.

1 comment:

Mambalam Mani said...

but seriously Raj. imagine being asked same set of questions for 2 decades! i think to myself many times, with the kind of patience i have, i would have slapped many a reporter like harbhajan did to sreesanth, for pestering me with questions