Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Pigeons!

If and when I manage to put an end to the mosquito menace, I need to turn my attention to those pigeons that have dropped anchor just outside my bedroom window. They make a funny, guttural noise with their throats, release tons and tons of droppings on unsuspecting passers-by below and generally make nuisance of themselves.

Via Freakonomics blog, I came across this article in The New York Times on how Wimbledon manages to keep out pigeons. Did they resort to some high-tech stuff or some fancy gadgetry to ward off these creatures? No, they merely hired Davis to drive them out.

Davis walks in with his small flock of hawks, falcons and owls, to shoo other birds using little more than fright tactics. Lesser birds see his birds soaring around, and they find somewhere else to go.

At Wimbledon, he employs falcons, sighting which the pigeons stay away. How simple!

Soon, there will be a flock of falcons hovering over my house. The pigeons don’t know what’s in store for them. But I hope that the falcons will turn out to be less prolific with their droppings than the pigeons. And, I hope that their droppings will contain some insecticide that will drive the mosquitoes away too

No comments: