Thursday, July 12, 2007

Balancing the Budget

In the circles that I move in, I am known for my awesome skills in balancing my finances and in my amazing ability to get the best bang for every buck that I earn. It’s only fair that I share some of my secrets with you.

Here’s how I apportion my income between essentials and non-essentials.

House maintenance, food, petrol, medicines, milk, newspapers, electricity and telephone bills, salaries for maid, cook, driver, etc consume a full 10% of my salary.

Coming to essentials, I make sure that my daughters limit the expenses on hair clips, bracelets, ear rings, necklaces, anklets, bandanas, shoes, sandals, handbags, lipsticks, eye liner, hair brush, etc to not more than 50% of my salary.

Also, I exercise strict control over the expenses on semi-essentials such as jeans, T-shirts, shorts, tops, salwars, kurtis, dupattas, three-fourths, Bermudas, long skirts, short skirts, visits to beauty parlour, Harry Potter movies on first day of release, purchase of CDs, Airtel re-charge cards, etc. Daughters are forbidden to spend even a rupee more than 50% of my monthly salary.

Shrewd ones among you would have quickly calculated and found that the total comes to 110% of salary. You are right. I borrow 10% every month. Deficit financing as the economists would put it.

4 comments:

Vee Cee said...

only 10%. you lucky sonofa....

Unknown said...

will try to follow your model. it is better than mine!

:)

Anonymous said...

Kids of a certain age onwards morph into 'want machines'. Output of ATM goes straight into the bottomless maw of the WMs. Sympathies, Raj, profound sympathies....

Raj said...

veecee : I got away lightly ?

sundar : wait till your kids get a little older....

dipali : WMs. That's an appropriate way to describe them. And, thanks for the sympathies