Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Conversation with daughter- 12

Daughter to wife: Can I borrow a book from the library today?

Wife: No way! You have your exams. Take out your text books.

Daughter to me: Can I borrow a book from the library?

Me: You just asked that question to Amma, and she said no.

Daughter: But, what is your answer?

Me: How does it matter? What if I said yes?

Daughter: Then I will take the book from the library.

Me: But, amma has said no.

Daughter: There are some circumstances when I will listen to Amma and some circumstances when I will listen to you.

Me: How do you decide under which circumstances you will listen to Amma and which circumstances you will listen to me?

Daughter: I listen to whoever has the answer I want

10 comments:

Abi said...

Ah, tactical intelligence. The next revolution in evolution is already here. Rejoice!

Anonymous said...

Chip of the old block she is!

Usha said...

That makes total sense to me.
And I notice she is still in the "I listen to" mode. wait till she turns 16...you may have to use a phone to get her to listen to you and she is definitely not going to ask for permission. So much to look forward to!

Raj said...

abi : Ha, when the rate of evolution of children is faster than rate of evolution of parents, trouble starts for latter...

mysorean : yes, chip of the old chimp!

usha, if it will cheer you up at my expense, my first daughter turns 16 next week. This 'listening' daughter is 11.

Anonymous said...

Wonder if you have read the books "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister"? If you haven't, I have a feeling you might like them.

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Smart cookie you got there. Way to go !

Anonymous said...

Your daughter has the makings of a diplomat. Is/was the sixteen year old a listening daughter?
How many were the childhood evenings spent lying in wait for my father to give him my version of events before my mother could give him her (highly prejudicial to me) version!

Raj said...

tempestuous, yes, she's constantly trying to outsmart me....

dipali, neither of them is the 'listening' kind. Makes life more interesting this way.

amitnme said...

=) wits have no age.. :)

Vinayak said...

Brilliant post. My daughter is 9 and I am eagerly awaiting / dreading these kind of conversations . ;)