Saturday, December 02, 2006

R.I.P Series- 6

Under this stone is laid to rest, Veer Singhji, brilliant cricketer and daring fielder, responsible for an incredible run-out of a batsman. Standing at forward- short-leg position, without a helmet on, he took a full-blooded shot straight on his head. The ball ricocheted and hit the stumps, before the batsman could regain his crease. As the bails came down in 0.88 seconds after the ball hit Veer Singhji’s head, the third umpire declared this as the first recorded instance of a run-out caused posthumously.

7 comments:

Emma said...

I came here from Shruthi's blog and am glad I clicked on the link. I really enjoyed reading your posts... and I totally agree with Shruthi - your posts do manage to bring on a smile.

Chitra said...

Ha ha....paapa!

Anonymous said...

Nice, although I prefer your longer posts. You are at your sarcastic best when you give yourself more paragraphs to work yourself up to it. :-)

Raj said...

Emma, thanks. Glad I could make you smile.

Chitra : ??

Hari : So, like VVS Laxman, I am better at test matches than the shorter version, eh? Actually, I thought of writing a long piece on RIP, but later felt that it would sound quite morbid and hurt the sensibilities of my delicate readers. But, I do appreciate your feedback.

Chitra said...

Oh...I lapsed back to my mother tongue. Paapa = Paavam in Tamil :-)!

Anonymous said...

You are definitely the VVS Laxman of blogging. Classical, stylish and elegant and yet not hurried into playing strokes when at your best form. :-)

Raj said...

Chitra, I thought the word was Paaba...

hari ; thanks a million, but I guess that the key phrase is "when at your best form"?