Saturday, October 28, 2006

I am back....

As I promised my regular reader(s), I am back at my desktop, at the crack of dawn.

And what did I get to read , first thing in the morning. An elderly American couple, Randall Barnhart, 62, and his wife Carole, 61, were awakened in their rented apartment in the Malaysian island of Langkawi, in the early hours of the morning earlier this month by religious officials conducting a raid on ‘khalwat’ couples. Under Islamic law which operates alongside the civil code in Malaysia, ‘khalwat’- close proximity between a man and a woman who are not married- is forbidden. Mr Barnhart said that the officials demanded to see his ‘woman’ and insisted on being shown their marriage licence and passport The two have been married for 40 years now.

I had a similar traumatic experience last month. I was woken up in the middle of the night by this person who insisted on seeing my marriage certificate. Now, I am not usually rattled by such demands, even when woken up from a deep slumber. But, an entirely new dimension or twist was introduced to the drama, when I realized that the person demanding to see the certificate was my wife. Since then, I have been carrying a copy of my marriage certificate in my wallet, along with my driver's licence.

Another piece of news that amazed me was that Nalini Srikaran, a convict in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, had moved the High Court, seeking remission of her sentence. Photograph of Nalini shows that she is a frail, tiny woman. And, yet she has managed to move the High Court- which is a huge building weighing thousands of tons. Incredible what one can do with will power.

And, finally, there is this photograph of Jimmy Carter with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, during which the peanut former gave the latter a ‘pat for India’ on its impressive growth. On which part of the anatomy does one pat India? Or did he symbolically give a pat to Manmohan Singh on the premise that he was the icon for India? Why can’t the man talk sense? And what happened to his younger brother, Jimmy Cart, and his elder brother, Jimmy Cartest?

4 comments:

Shruthi said...

Yay Raj is back - and with the kind of post that I love the most! :D :D Hooray to people like you :D

Anonymous said...

Ummm ... but isnt the elder brother cart and the younger brother cartest?

Usha said...

hheheh. what, does your wife work for the government ? That is where they train you to prove your existence by showing your ration card, never mind you are standing in front of them. You do not have a legal identity otherwise. Here is a man who throws his weight around in the house and she needs to know what documentation gives him that power! Now I shall do the same tonight. And you guys dont even have a law protecting you against harrassment. hahahha, I feel great even thinking of this!

Raj said...

Shruthi, thanks for the hoorays.

Anon, maybe so, but the middle guy remains Carter either way.

Usha, I think I will wake up my wife tonight at 1.30 am and ask her to show me her birth certificate, to prove that she was born.