Saturday, June 24, 2006

How Landmark found a way to sell Megan McCafferty's books and make a killing

During a recent stopover at the “ Landmark “ bookshop, I found that the novels, "Sloppy Seconds" and "Second Helpings” authored by Megan McCafferty, were displayed prominently at the entrance , with this sign next to them :

The books that inspired Kaavya Viswanathan’s “How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life”

Ha, these sales guys, I admired. Can find ‘opportunity’ in any situation,

But I wonder now if Kaavya and McCafferty were at cahoots with each other all along and if the whole outcry over the plagiarism was stage-managed by the agents, to gain some publicity for the latter’s novels and laugh all the way to the bank.......

2 comments:

Lalita said...

I wondered about that, too. Great minds, huh? I posted about it, http://lalitalarking.blogspot.com/2006/04/double-exposure.html

Casement said...

I dont think a person of average prudence would do that. Spoil one's reputation and surrender a lifetime of opportunities for a momentary gain!