Monday, December 20, 2010

Be warned, Ministers.

In an article in The Outlook, Madhu Purnima Kishwar writes:

I fail to understand why almost every commentator, every TV anchor, every editorial writer feels compelled to pay ritual obeisance to the “personal honesty and integrity of Dr Manmohan Singh” while dealing with the scandals emanating from his cabinet colleagues. They do so even when there is clear evidence that the Prime Minister was well aware of various shady deals, as in the case of Telecom scam, and that he did nothing to stop the brazen economic crimes indulged in by his ministerial colleagues over the last 6 years.

Even if not guilty of an ‘act of commission’, the PM is certainly accountable for his various acts of omission. Doesn’t he know this?

While reflecting on the PM, I came across this passage from a book written by one Horace Wyndham. One of the characters suppressed by a feudal lord addresses the latter thus:

"Listen to me, Your Lordship. You have broken my business. You have ruined my home, you have sent my son to prison and my wife to a dishonoured grave amd you have seduced my only daughter. But, be careful, Lord FitzWallop, I am a man of quick temper. Do not try me too far. "

I thought this tone would suit the PM perfectly. I can imagine him addressing his cabinet.

Listen to me, you guys. Your have made a killing of several hundred crores from the Commonwealth Games. You grabbed apartments and buildings meant for war widows. You have made the nation lose Rs 1,76,000 crores by allotting the 2G spectrum for a song. But, be warned. I am a man of great integrity and quick temper. If I come across any instances of corruption, I will not tolerate it.

 



3 comments:

Vaidy said...

Raj,
This brought to my mind the age-old Madras rowdy dialog!
"Dai, Vana .. Engittae ethavathu vambu panninae, naan summa irukka maatein!".

On a serious note, people trusted Manmohan Singh, but he cannot deny now that he remains just a puppet of Sonia and the Indian political mind-set. If he has any principles, he must have a big-time BP problem!

Raj said...

Vaidy, one day the PM is going to come out of his silence and ask, " Did I ever claim that I was honest? Only the media said so.

Unknown said...

sell your k i d n e y for money, we are looking for k i d n e y d0n0rs with the sum of $500,000.00 USD,apply now via email: (hospitalcarecenter@gmail.com)