Tuesday, February 14, 2012

How to propose to a woman.

“It cannot have escaped your notice that I have long entertained toward you sentiments warmer and deeper than those of ordinary friendship. It is love, Susan that has been animating my bosom. Love, first a tiny seed, has burgeoned in my heart till, blazing into flame, it has swept away on the crest of its wave my diffidence, my doubts, my fears and my foreboding, and now, like the topmost topaz of some ancient tower, it cries to all the world in a voice of thunder: ”You are mine! My mate! Predestined to me since Time first began!” As the star guides the mariner, when battered by boiling willows, and heaves him home to the haven of hope and happiness, so do you gleam upon me along life’s rough road and seem to say, “ Have courage, George! I am here!” Susan, I am not an eloquent man- I cannot speak fluently as I could wish- but these simple words which you have just heard come from the heart, from the unspotted heart of an Englishman. Susan, I love you. Will you be my wife, married woman, matron, spouse, helpmeet, consort, partner, or better half?”

“Oh, George!” said Susan. “Yea, yea, ay, aye! Decidedly, unquestionably, indubitably, incontrovertibly, and past all dispute.”
That was George, a crossword buff proposing to Susan, another crossword aficionado in P.G.Wodehouse’s short story “The truth about George” in the book “Meet Mr Mulliner”.

Brought to you by Raj, on the occasion of Valentine’s Day.

No comments: